Material summarized from from Jack Carver's Book "Vancouver Rowing Club", club members and the information package produced by the City of Burnaby for the Burnaby Lake Rejuvenation Project.
Burnaby Lake is an ancient post-glacial landform. The valley, now occupied by Still Creek, Burnaby Lake and the Brunette River was formerly an arm of the Fraser River Delta flowing west from Coquitlam into Burrard Inlet. Geologic forces later caused the uplift of the Grandview ridge (west of Boundary Road) blocking the Fraser's path. The uplift reversed the flow of water through the valley draining the watershed east, through what was to become the Brunette River. A sandstone ledge between Burnaby Mountain and Caribou Hill, at the current mouth of Burnaby Lake formed a natural dam, holding back water to create a shallow, seasonal, flood-prone lake. A stagnant slough remained in the former Fraser river bed, forming substantial peat deposits.
There is some evidence that there was aboriginal activities on the lake with history of hunting, fishing, plus pictographs along the Brunette River.
After New Westminster was selected to be a city , Colonel .RC Moody and the Royal Engineers from New Westminster explored and surveyed the lake circa 1860.. The lake was reported to be very shallow with depths around 3 fathoms . During the ensuing decades up until the early 1900's there was logging, sawmills and residential development along the shorelines of the lake. The residential area was confined to the south side. There was a sawmill on the north side of the lake. Logs were floated down the lake, to the Brunette river, then to the Fraser river. To facilitate the transport of logs in the Brunette river, a series of log dams or weirs were constructed in order to maintain a depth of water to float the logs down stream. In 1915 a concrete dam was built at the mouth of the lake to control water levels and for upstream flood control. The downstream Brunette river channel was also deepened. This original dam height was designed to maintain the lake at its original depth. At this time the lake was free of sediments, vegetation and lily pads. During the early 1900s, the deforestation, increased development of the valley required better drainage control of the Lake and river. In 1930 a new dam was built and the lake level was lowered 1 meter. Still Creek, west of the, lake was deepened in order to drain the surrounding wetlands which were susceptible to flooding. The result of this activity, draining the still creek flats, clearing of the forests and lowering the lake level, resulted in a gradual but increasing amount of sediment deposited in the lake plus an in growth of aquatic vegetation. Up until 1940 the lake was clear and free of vegetation and was a lake frequently used for recreational water sports. In the late 1940s and by 1950 the lake was infilling and covered with lily pads . The GVRD (Greater Vancouver Regional District) dredged a channel in the lake from Still Creek to the dam at the Brunette river. This channel was the only open water during summer months.
Boating and recreational water activities by local residents were present on the open lake in the early 1900s. Around 1929 Vancouver Rowing Club (VRC) was looking for calm water and place to hold regattas. Land was leased from Burnaby to the VRC on the south shore of the lake near Hill Street. Land and shoreline was cleared, access to the lake was provided, plus a boat house and viewing stands were erected. The NPAAO (North Pacific Association of Amateur Oarsmen) held its annual regatta at the lake 1930 and 1931. The onset of the great depression placed further development on hold and eventually VRC had to give up its lease on the Burnaby Lake property. In 1930 there was a regatta in the fall. In attendance were some of the New Zealand and Australian crews who had competed in the first British Empire Games in Hamilton Ontario. The "down under" bunch rowed against the best from Vancouver and area. The lake was used for some rowing activities but the depressing affect of the Great Depression and then the start of World War in 1939, was the last of any rowing at Burnaby Lake for several decades.
In the early 1950s, Vancouver was awarded the 1954 British Empire Games (BEG). Colonel Tommy Taylor, a Burnaby business man , VRC member and old rower, became a major supporter of Burnaby Lake to be the site for the 1954 BEG. The area was considered, but the Vedder Canal in Chilliwack was picked and used as a temporary facility. All of the improvements at the Vedder site soon disappeared and further rowing never occurred there.
In the mid 1960s a group of former UBC rowers and former VRC members started to row in a 4- in the dredged channel of the lake. They stored their boat in the open on the north dike near the dam site. Bob Stubbs and Darryl Sturdy were some of the early Burnaby Lake Rowers of those times. The channel was just wide enough for one boat and was quite tortuous. They formed an early rowing club and placed members on some of Canada's national teams. For a short spell UBC rowed 8+s from this same area.
In 1971 New Westminster and Burnaby were selected to host Canada's 2nd Canada Summer Games which were to be held in 1973. The host committee ably guided by Bob Stubbs and Herb Challier, had Burnaby Lake picked as the site for the rowing, kayaking and canoe events. A FISA standard course was designed along with a grandstand and boathouse. The original dredging plan was to pipe the dredged lake contents into the local sewer outlet at the dam site near North Caribou Road and flush all the dredged material out to the Fraser River. The contract was let and on the first day of dredging the whole plan was arrested with a total blockage in the sewer system which meant they had to change plans. The dredged material was pumped to the sides of the lake which is part of the problem why the lake is refilling itself with shifting and re-silting .
The 1973 Canada Summer Games were a great success for New Westminster and Burnaby. One of the legacies of those Games was a FISA standard Rowing Course in the GVRD area. Burnaby Lake quickly became a Mecca for the local and National Rowing programs, canoeing and kayaking. Many regattas and Canadian National men's and women's training camps were held at the lake during the 1970s and 1980s. The BC High School Championships were frequently held at Burnaby during the 1980s. UBC's men's and women's rowing program were centered at Burnaby Lake during the late 1970s and 1980s In 1976 the Western Intercollegiate Sprint Championships were held on the lake. They were usually held at Newport Beach in California. All the major rowing universities in the western USA and Canada attended. UBC hosted the event and it was a great success.
From about 1990 the rowing at Burnaby Lake has been restricted to the use of sculling boats and pairs. This was due to the infilling of parts of the lake with sediments and vegetations. SFU was the last college program to use the lake and they also left early in the 1990s. The national canoe and kayak programs also abandoned the lake.
Sculling and small boat rowing is still possible and the Burnaby Lake Rowing Club is still very active - rowing mainly in single sculls.
As of March 2010 the lake has been undergoing a major dredge program to re-establish an open water environment on the lake. The lake is being dredged to a depth of 2m inside the lake pilings. Dredging is expected to conclude in Spring/Summer 2011.